Having a great CV is one thing, but it’s not the main reason you’ll get the job.
That comes down to the interview!
As an established recruitment consultancy, we have extensive experience with interviews and have successfully secured many individuals their dream roles.
That’s why we’re excited to share our top tips with you, so you can stand out from the crowd and increase your chances of getting hired:
- Dress appropriately: First impressions matter, so make sure to dress professionally and in line with the company’s culture. It’s better to be slightly overdressed than underdressed – but check the dress code before your interview.
- Be polite to everyone: From the moment you step into the building, treat everyone with respect and courtesy. Be polite to the receptionists, security guards, or anyone else you encounter. You never know who may have a say in the hiring decision, and showing respect to everyone demonstrates your professionalism and interpersonal skills.
- Bring your CV: While it’s expected the interviewers will have your CV already, it’s crucial to bring a few extra copies with you. Sometimes, they may misplace or forget your CV, and having an extra copy readily available will impress!
- Read the job advert & description: Before the interview, carefully read and analyse the job description and advert. Understand the key responsibilities, skills, and qualifications they are seeking. This will help you tailor your answers during the interview to align with the specific requirements of the role.
- Be punctual: If the interview is in person, aim to arrive at least 10-15 minutes before your scheduled time. If it’s a phone or video interview, be prepared and available well in advance. And make sure you’ve tested your phone/computer setup beforehand. Arriving early or being prepared in advance allows you to gather your thoughts, compose yourself, and be in the right mindset for a successful interview.
- Practice competency questioning: Competency-based questions are commonly asked during interviews to assess your skills and experiences. Take the time to research and practice answering these types of questions. Identify examples relevant to the job requirements you’re interviewing for. Use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to structure your responses effectively.
- Prepare questions: Towards the end of the interview, the interviewer will likely ask if you have any questions. Prepare a few thoughtful and well-researched questions about the company, the role, or the team dynamics. This demonstrates your genuine interest and engagement in the opportunity. We have our own document of commonly asked questions, so get in contact if you’d like a copy.
- Research the company/interview panel: Make sure you research the company and the interviewers in advance. Visit the company’s website, read its latest news or blogs, and explore its social media presence. Additionally, check out the LinkedIn profiles of the interviewers to gain insights into their professional backgrounds. This knowledge will help you tailor your answers and engage in meaningful conversations during the interview.
- Bring examples/a portfolio: If relevant to the role, bring any examples or a portfolio of your work. This could include project deliverables, website designs, code examples, or any other tangible evidence of your skills and accomplishments. Presenting your work visually helps really showcase your abilities.
- Speak positively about past employers: During the interview, avoid speaking negatively about your past employers or experiences. Instead, focus on highlighting what you learned and the positive aspects of your previous roles. Employers appreciate candidates who demonstrate professionalism and the ability to handle challenges with a positive attitude.
Remember, interview success is a combination of preparation, confidence, and being your true self. By following these 10 essential tips, you’ll be well on your way to a successful interview and increasing your chances of getting hired.
If you’re seeking further guidance or support in your job search or interview preparation, Mexa Solutions is here to help. Visit our website or get in touch with one of our Recruitment Consultants to discover how we can help you advance in your career.
Call us on 0203 642 0454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.