In the spirit of Pride month, it is important to not just celebrate the LGBTQ+ community during June but also to reflect on how we can create an inclusive workplace every month of the year.
Supporting and advocating for the rights and well-being of the LGBTQ+ is a responsibility for not just us as individuals but for companies and organisations. When we prioritise inclusivity, we create an environment where all employees feel welcome, respected, and represented – and when people are free to be themselves, everyone benefits!
Here are some steps we can all take to help cultivate a workplace that supports the LGBTQ+ community:
- Adopt policies for LGBTQ+ inclusion: Make LGBTQ+ inclusion a core part of the Equality and Diversity policy. By explicitly addressing discrimination in this area, the company demonstrates a commitment to creating an inclusive workplace for all.
- List your pronouns: Normalising the practice of sharing pronouns can have a profound impact on transgender and non-binary individuals. A simple way to do this is by adding pronouns to email signatures and social media platforms. Clearly stating pronouns is a way to avoid assumptions about someone’s gender and create an environment where everyone feels comfortable expressing their identity.
- Incorporate gender-neutral language: Gender-neutral language is an effective way to promote inclusivity. Avoid using gender-specific terms in company documentation and contracts, opting for gender-neutral alternatives. For example, using “they” instead of “he” or “she” ensures that everyone feels represented and valued.
- Celebrate LGBTQ+ history and events: Boost awareness of LGBTQ+ history and events within and outside the workplace. Recognise important dates, such as LGBTQ+ History Month and Pride, and provide opportunities for everyone to learn about the struggles, triumphs, and contributions of the LGBTQ+ community. Support those who champion having more awareness for these events within the workplace (and outside of work too).
- Support LGBTQ+ charities/organisations: Incorporate support for LGBTQ+ charities and organisations into your company’s and your individual fundraising efforts throughout the year. Look for opportunities to partner with local LGBTQ+ charities or sponsor events that raise funds for vital causes. During Pride month, organise special events like bake-offs or other challenges to engage people and raise awareness and funds.
Creating an inclusive workplace is a responsibility shared by everyone – allies of the LGBTQ+ community, LGBTQ+ individuals themselves, and companies alike.
By embracing diversity and promoting inclusion, we can create a working environment that allows everyone to thrive. By prioritising LGBTQ+ inclusion in policies, language, celebrations, and charitable initiatives, we send a powerful message: we value everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Remember, supporting the LGBTQ+ community is not limited to Pride month. It is an ongoing commitment that requires continuous effort and dedication. Let’s ensure that our workplaces are spaces where everyone can bring their whole selves, knowing they are respected, supported, and celebrated every day of the year.
Together, we can create a world that embraces Pride, not just in June, but in every moment of our professional lives.
If you’re looking for a workplace that aligns more with your values, take a look at our jobs page.
Feel free to get in touch with one of our consultants to explore more about the opportunities we have:
? 020 3642 0454