It’s no secret that most interviews are tough.
We can prepare, research and practice for days, but there are still simple things that we can do at the interview that undoes all of that hard work.
Be sure to avoid the following 5 pitfalls during your next interview:
- Speaking negatively about your current or previous employer. This will only make you seem unprofessional. You are looking to leave for a reason, but just make sure that you articulate it in the right way.
- Speaking in the “We” not the “I”. When you’re answering questions, make sure you speak about the impact you made on projects or in your workplace, not focusing on only team achievements. By doing this, you’re showing the interviewer what you can bring to the company.
- Giving rambling/long-winded answers. It’s easy to make the mistake of oversharing and giving too much information during interviews. However, the interviewer will be asking specific questions and will be looking for concise, well-articulated answers.
- Being late. This is completely unavoidable. Plan your route out well before you go (if face-to-face) and leave plenty of time for any delays there might be. Being late just gives a bad impression, setting the tone for the remainder of the interview.
- Being arrogant. There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Have the confidence to be able to showcase your abilities, and why you’re a great match for the role, but ensure you’re not coming across as rude or arrogant.
For more tips or advice on your job search, check out the Mexa Solutions LinkedIn page, or get in touch with us today on 0203 642 0454.